According to Moises Roman from UCLA Early Care and Education, “a teachable moment is a learning opportunity for a child to acquire new information, values, morals, a new behavior or a new skill, or a new way of expressing and coping with an emotion.”
As parents and professionals, there are things we can do to seize teachable moments related to respect, morals and values. Steve Carr Reuben, Ph.D. outlines opportunities that encourage discussion and learning with children:
- Recognize that your children often learn moral lessons unconsciously, in casual moments.
- Be aware of situations that represent moral choices.
- Talk with your children about the ethical challenges represented in everyday situations, the media and popular culture.
- Praise your children for their ethical choices.
- Point out ethical behavior in others.
- Let your children see your own thought processes regarding ethical decisions.
Read the full article: “Making the Most of Teachable Moments.”