6 Things I Learned About Self-Care on #MEdayWR
As part of promoting self-care during the month of February, Carizon designated Wednesday, February 21st at Carizon as “Me Day.” Knowing that these last months of winter contribute to the blahs, the whole idea was to encourage people to undertake a self-care activity to promote wellness.
Carizon also challenged a number of partnering organizations to join us and coordinate a workplace activity that promoted employee self-care. And, there was a resounding, “Yes. We love the idea of promoting self-care!” It’s so easy to get caught up in the busyness of life as we run from one demand to another. But, how do we take a step back, slow down, and learn to take time to ensure we are taking good care of ourselves?
Through promoting self-care, I learned:
- It is not selfish or self-centred to take time to take care of yourself. We often hear “you can’t take care of others if you are not well yourself.” But, we not only need to think this, we need to act on it, and not feel guilty about taking time for our personal wellness.
- We should not measure our success by how busy we are and how fast we run from one thing to another. Rather, we should consider measuring our success by finding the joy in living.
- There are many elements to wellness. At Carizon, during the month of February, we focused on emotional, physical, social and financial wellness. Finding a balance of activities that contribute to your personal wellness is essential to your overall well-being.
- It’s important to have fun. Most of the organizations that participated in a self-care activity on “Me Day” had an element of humour in their events. We should all make time for a good belly laugh with others every day.
- We need to make personal wellness a priority, not something that we will do if and when we can find the time. Eating right, getting exercise, being mindful, connecting with others – will all help you feel better and have more energy as you go about the rest of your day.
- When we take care of ourselves, we set an example for others to follow suit. So, by taking care of ourselves, we are, in fact, taking care of others by demonstrating this value and walking the talk.
Although Me Day 2018 has concluded, if you have some insights about self-care, we’d still love to hear from you. Tweet us @carizon #MEdayWR.